Monday, May 29, 2006

Okra Fried Rice from Trinidad and Tobago

The first time I ate okra, I had unwisely cooked it with polenta. No bean can be at its best when cooked with polenta. I forgave it.

I still had half a bag of frozen okra getting freezer burn, so last night I dove into okra yet again with okra fried rice from Trinidad and Tobago.

This is an interesting take on fried rice, with some wonderful flavors from the fennel, cloves, and garlic, but overall it was missing something. It feels very close to being delicious, but instead falls on the side of just "good."

Still, I think I will forgive okra again. I will give it another chance soon. It's such a cheerful-looking bean. It was brought down by its associates. And besides, I still have a third of a bag of the stuff getting freezer burn.


Okra Fried Rice from Trinidad and Tobago
Makes enough for 2

1 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp butter
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 onion, chopped
2 oz frozen okra, sliced
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground fennel
1 tsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
1 cup cooked rice

Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan, then add the garlic and onion. Cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat, until the onions are transparent. Add the okra and cook for another 5 minutes. Add everything else and cook until the rice is warmed through.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting and strange. This isn't anything like what I know as Ochro Rice... hmmm... the fennel should be a clue.. since that is not a Caribbean flavoring agent... I wonder what this tasted like... Where did you get this recipe from? If you want a -real- Ochro and Rice recipe from my country contact me and I can hook you up... I"m pretty sure it will be better :)