Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Ducuna: Sweet Potato Odd Balls from Antigua and Barbuda

I found this recipe on a website called Caribbean Choice. The person who submitted it spelled out the ingredients and the instructions in standard recipe format, but added at the end: "Hope you like it."

Many recipes online end with a similar sentiment, but for some reason I was touched by this one. No exclamation point, no overly excited and exuberant home cook – the period at the end of the sentence made it sound quiet and almost humble: "Here's my recipe. I hope you like it."

I do like it. These ducuna are sweet little creatures that remind me, for whatever reason, of the innards of an apple pie. The texture, flavor, and consistency is almost identical – except that this is not apple, it's sweet potato.


1/2 large sweet potato, grated
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup flour
Dash of all spice
Dash of cinnamon

Mix the grated sweet potato with the sugar and set aside, covered for about 10 minutes. Mix in the flour and spices until a soft dough forms. Spoon the dough into 3 packets of aluminum foil, folding the foil so little water will get in. Place in boiling water and boil for about 45 minutes, until they are firm. I, too, hope you like it.

No comments: