Sunday, May 28, 2006

On the Shoulders of Bloggers: Phoebe's Fabulous Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies from A Spoonful of Sugar . . . Sort of


I've been baking since I was four, but somehow I still forget the basics. For example: Always make sure you have the ingredients before you begin.

I set out to make Phoebe's Fabulous Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies, brought to me by A Spoonful of Sugar, when I realized I only had half of the 2 cups of oats I needed.

"Well," thought I, "Walnuts are kind of like oats."

So I diced up some walnuts and added them in place of the missing oats. Baked the first batch.

"Ah," I thought, pulling the bubbling, gooey mass of oat slime from the oven, "Maybe walnuts aren't that similar to oats."

The second batch turned out fine, though. I added another half cup of flour to goo them up a bit and somehow that worked. I have no idea what they were supposed to taste like, but the oat-walnut-extrafloured cookies I produced were mighty fine.

Thanks for the recipe, Spoonful! Next time I bake it, I'll be sure I have all the oats.

The (Ever-So-Slightly Modified) Recipe:
Makes about 20 medium cookies

12 Tbsp butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup oats
1 3/4 cups plain flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups raisins

Preheat oven to 375F.

Cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.

In a separate bowl combine oats, flour, soda, baking powder and salt. Mix into butter mixture until just combined. Stir in raisins.

Drop the dough by heaped tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheets, and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.

No comments: