Friday, August 04, 2006

Peanut Butter Rice from Benin

Vodoo is the official state religion of Benin, where about 60% of the population practice it. It’s also one of the poorest countries in the world. When I read that their three major foods are corn, yams, and rice, I really wasn’t expecting much in the way of delicious recipes.

But it surprised me. This rice with peanut sauce is actually a fantastic combination.

Rice with Peanut Sauce from Benin
Serves 3

3/4 cup rice
1 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 beef bullion cube (I used a veggie one)
1/2 cup water (or more)
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup diced onion

Cook the rice as per its packaged directions.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium frying pan, and add the tomato paste, salt, onion, and bullion cube. Saute for a few minutes, then mix in the peanut butter and water. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until the onions are soft, about 15 minutes (add more water if the mixture starts sticking to the bottom of the pan).

Pour sauce over rice and serve warm.

2 comments:

Acme Instant Food said...

Wow--I'm intrigued by this. I may have to try when I'm feeling the need for something different. Thanks for the post!

Anonymous said...

That is intriguing - I love peanut butter.
If you're wondering Neil sent me.