Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Azerbaijani Pilaf

I’ve heard that lamb is quite popular in Azerbaijan, but it’s certainly not the only popular meat. I also found quite a few recipes that called for sheep, mutton, sheep fat, and sheep brains.

Finding a veggisaurous-friendly recipe was tough, but I finally tracked down Geudgea: a traditional Azerbaijan pilaf usually made with chicken. I left the chicken out.

Geudgea – Azerbaijani Pilaf
Serves 4
1 cups rice
1 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup diced dried apricot
pinch of saffron
pinch of salt

Cook the rice as per instructions on package, adding a pinch of saffron. In a separate pan, melt the butter and cook the raisins and apricot over low heat until the raisins swell. Pour the butter and fruit mixture over the rice and serve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am really impressed with this diversity. Where do you get all these different tastes?