Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Bahamian Baked Banana Custard

I remembered half way through making this that I hate custard. But I had already whipped the eggs, so I went ahead anyway – and I actually liked it. The bananas soften the egg taste that I usually find so overwhelming in custards. The tiny black threads that come with the bananas are a little off-putting visually, but few custards are pretty affairs anyway.

Bahamian Baked Banana Custard
Makes 1 8-inch round custard

4 very ripe bananas, mashed
2 tsp lemon juice
dash of nutmeg, optional
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 cups milk
3 eggs, lightly beaten

Mix the mashed banana, lemon juice, nutmeg, and 2 Tbsp of the sugar. Spread over the bottom of a greased 8-inch cake pan (with very high sides). Cover with breadcrumbs.

In a saucepan, warm the milk. Mix with the beaten eggs and the rest of the sugar. Pour over the mashed bananas. Bake at 350 degrees for about 60 minutes, or until the custard has set.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Umm...black threads - why is that? I guess it does look funny but your words make me believe it's good to eat.