Friday, June 09, 2006

Fiji: Spiced Dhal Soup

This is a warmly-spiced, thick and creamy soup that needs a lot of salt. I enjoyed it, but I doubt I would make it again. It looks just like the Armenian Apricot Soup that I love, but it falls short of it by a ways.

Fijian Spiced Dhal Soup
Makes enough for 2

1/4 cup dry pink lentils
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1 cup strong vegetable stock
1 tsp oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 onion, chopped
1/4 tsp ground red chilies
1/2 carrot, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp curry powder
1 tsp soy sauce


Soak the lentils, fenugreek, and mustard in a large sauce pan for about an hour. Drain the lentils, add the vegetable stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for about 30 minutes, or until the lentils have been reduced to a soft mush.

Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onions and garlic, and cook over medium heat until they are lightly browned, about 5 minutes.

Add the browned onion-garlic mixture to the lentils. Also add the chilies and carrots, and cook for another 15 minutes, until the carrots are tender.

Allow it to cool a bit, then pour into a blender and puree.

Pour back into saucepan and add salt, turmeric, curry, and soy sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes. Pour into bowls and garnish with soy sauce.

1 comment:

Lis said...

I absolutely love your idea of cooking from every single country on earth! What a fabulous and tasty experiment.. and fun too! This is something I've always wanted to do.. maybe not so much as cook it all myself (I'm not as brave as you are) but to taste food from so many different cultures. And yet, I've rarely done anything about it. Living so close to a large city with so many different ethnic offerings, I have no excuse. You've given me inspiration to try new things! I can't wait to see what you've come up with next :) How do you decide which recipes to try and which are your favorites so far? Beautiful posts!