Wednesday, May 03, 2006

"I don't need to read the help files! I've used computers before!" or "The Big Blog Browser Blowup"

Last night, I opened my blog in Internet Explorer.

Ha.
Turns out not all browsers display blogs the same way. Safari fared slightly better. Most of the material was there - except for that big gaping hole where my post should have been.


I had been building on Mozilla, thinking that any application that ends with "zilla" could out-program, out-maneuver, and really just mash up and crush any other application.

I was supposed to be working on my thesis (due in 8 days), so of course I dropped everything and spent several hours performing high-tech, blog-saving HTML surgery: delicate class/table sutures, <> < /div > microprobes, Preview Button, Preview Button, Preview Button.

I got so frustrated I had to go make a rice pudding, but I think I've got it now.

So if this page looks ugly, rest assured, it's the browser's fault.

To celebrate my newly functional blog, here's the rice pudding. It's an Australian edition, with vanilla and nutmeg. I'm not a big fan of nutmeg, but I needed an Australian dish, so nutmeg it is.


Australian Vanilla Bean Creamed Rice

Makes 4

3 1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup castor sugar
1 vanilla bean (or 2 tsp vanilla extract)
3/4 cup Arborio rice
1/4 cup cream
Nutmeg for garnish – don't be heavy handed

Bring to boil the milk, sugar, and vanilla. Stir in rice. Cover pan and cook on low, stirring occasionally for 40-45 minutes. Remove bean, stir in cream, sprinkle with nutmeg, serve warm.

1 comment:

Anna (Morsels and Musings) said...

I am curious how nutmeg is Australian? Am I totally missing something?